Buy My Books

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I Knew it: It's a Man's World Afterall



Can you guess what this guy has in his bag? That casual, confident swagger can only mean one thing...



Feeling manly? Feeling Pocky?



A Saturday afternoon at the Porter Exchange is a time well spent. Kotobukiya, a great Japanese grocery store, carries everything you need to stock up your Japanese pantry from fresh shisho, to quail eggs and sushi grade tuna, to a dazzling selection of gender specific pocky.




I was eyeing this Hello Kitty vending machine in the bcak when a grown man swooped in front of me to claim his prize. That's what's cool about being a grown up, you don't have to beg your parents for quarters.

Now you're hungry from that testosterone rush. Grab a seat at Ittyo and order what looks good off of their picture menu. Don't be shy to share a communal table with strangers, you can spy on what they're eating and eavesdrop on their conversation, err if you know Japanese that is...



Unbelievable tofu in dashi broth with pickled ginger at Ittyo.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I used to live in Boston and miss it a lot, so reading your blog makes want to go back even more. My husband loves Pocky (he discovered when we were in Japan recently). Maybe if I tell him we can get it at the Porter Exchange, he'll agree to move back to Boston!
Julie