Buy My Books

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Guess the condiments


Exhibit A

Poking through my over stuffed refrigerator today I realized that it was truly a match made in condiment heaven. No one loves mayo more than my boyfriend. But then again some people are just lucky like me that their partner will allow inordinate amount of condiments into their lives. So see if you can guess what these condiments are. Answers are listed below.


Exhibit B



Answer Key

Exhibit A. (left to right)

FRONT ROW:
Plum preserves- I got suckered into this from a free sample station a Whole Foods, paired with a creamy soft cheese before I realized it was plum.
Korean chili paste- For those disasterous attempts at making kimchee
Yuzu- Japanese citrus, which reminds me to lament the closing of my neighborhood Japanese market. Now what am I gonna do with all of my leftover Yoshinoya points?
Honey Comb- I discovered the joy of eating honeycomb with cheese on a beach picnic with some cooks from Clio.
Pesto- Okay this one is a sin, since, I do have homemade pesto in my freezer. But alas, another Whole Foods sample experience caused me to temporarily lose my mind and buy this tiny tin of pesto for $6 bucks. It is excellent, by the way.
Anchovies- Just do me a favor and don't tell me you don't like anchovies until you've tried good ones. They're expensive, but worth it.
Wasabi Paste- It's way cooler to use your own wasabi root and grate it fresh on a shark skin paddle. But I'm just not that cool.
Salsa Verde- So much more attractive than red salsa, this one goes on fish tacos.
Soyaki- Leave it to Trader Ming's to come up with the perfect Asian marinade. I often doctor it with Tamari soy sauce and let it sit.
Tahini- Keep this on hand for making my own hummus.

MIDDLE ROW:
Honey mustard
Jerk Rub- a sweet reminder of Jamaica
Blueberry Jam
Korean Chili sauce
Relish- For last minute tartar sauce
Ketchup- Not eating too much of this these days.

BACK ROW:
Peanut butter
- I don't know why that's there. I don't like peanut butter.
Thai chili paste- I hope this is not a remnant from my days teaching Thai Cooking, because that was a long, long time ago.
Korma sauce- I got Alex hooked on chicken Korma from our neighborhood Indian restaurant.
Green curry paste- In Thai Cooking I taught my students to make their own green curry paste.
Starbucks Mint Mocha- Not a condiment


Exhibit B. (left to right)

TOP SHELF:

Tartar Sauce
Mirin-
A sweet Japanese cooking wine, is a great way to add a hint of sweetness
Sriracha Sauce- An ubiquitous Vietnamese chili sauce with a hint of sweetness
Horseradish- For Bloody Marys or horseradish mayo.
Mayonnaise
Honey Cream-
This one is strange to me.
Tabasco Sauce
Caesar Dressing
Worcestershire Sauce

BOTTOM SHELF:
Fish Sauce-
It's like hanging a Vietnamese flag in your house, but smaller and tasty.
Salsa Verde
Barbecue Sauce
Pickles-
Who can live without them? I'll be making my own this summer.
Club Soda-
Essential for mojitos
Red Stripe Beer

No comments: