Buy My Books

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Wish Fulfillment



Today on my drive in the North Shore I witnessed the first of spring's colorful blossoms sprouting on the trees. It's a great time of year to be opening a restaurant in this city, as people are emerging from this dull winter and seeking out new tastes. Luckily I will not have to travel very far from my neighborhood to check out the promising introduction of T.W. Foods on the 02138 culinary scene.

It's set to have a "soft opening" beginning on May 10th, the night that our friends the up-and-coming band Wild Light open for Arcade Fire at the sold out Orpheum.

But I digress.

I was curious at to the provenance of the naming. Bronwyn Weichmann, proprietess, explained to me via e-mail:

"Tim Wiechmann of T.W. Food is the chef. He has cooked
in some of the best kitchens in the world, but his food will speak
for itself. But I am his biggest fan, my name is Bronwyn, I run the
dining room, manage the books and I am his wife."

This husband and wife duo met while working as Chef and Manager, respectively, at the most notable J.P. restaurant with the tiniest kitchen-- Ten Tables, by way of Le Cordon Bleu, St. Louis, and points east.

Naturally these two have caught on that diners enjoy, "some fun things-the small tastes. Which truly are small tastes of other dishes. The wine list focuses on the winemaker and features
2 to 3 of the makers wines. This allows you to order multiple bottles or visit several times to taste the differences and nuances in the wines."

Sounds vague, but appealing to me.

I guess with chefs like Ken Oringer, branding his initials into the steaks at the highly anticipated KO Prime steakhouse in the Nine Zero Hotel, it makes sense that Tim Weichmann is hoping to make a name for himself with his new venture. Auspiciously, B. W. is there to keep things in check by insisting that at their establishment "Food is the chef."

Incidentally, you can try to reserve a spot at KO Prime through Open Table, even though it is not slated to open until spring's last buds are in full bloom.

No comments: